Celebrating 10 Years in Business!
Today marks my 10 year anniversary in business. The past decade has been a wonderful journey filled with every conceivable challenge, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.
Many significant changes have occurred to my business during the past 10 years, and that is what I love about it – the ability to re-invent on a regular basis to ensure I add continued value to my clients. As I reflect on this, I have the following thoughts:
- How I moved from offering ‘commodities’ to ‘processes’. This is a huge change, reflected in the types of projects I undertake now. I now see a project to achieve certification to a management system standard as a commodity, but winning a bid or a tender worth £1m through the adoption of standards and systems is a process.
- How I used to work with small businesses in the locality, to only working with businesses with whom:
- I share values with
- I have a relationship with
- Are successful and are working at increasing their successes
- We can agree project objectives and value
- Realising that I am in the relationship business (not consulting)
- Ignoring advice that I should market when quiet, and to expect ‘peaks and troughs’. What nonsense! I market every day, and I would be worried if I had a quiet period (unless I planned it of course).
- Stopping attending every networking event under the sun, and focusing on developing brand, value, and intellectual property.
- Ceasing to charge my clients by the day (the un-ethical ‘day-rate’) and charging equitable compensation doe the value I provide.
The next 10 years are going to be fantastic. I have a clear value proposition and truly enjoy helping my clients improve their condition.
Thank you for following my blog. I really appreciate those of you who interact by leaving comments here and contacting me by phone, email, Twitter and on my Facebook Page. Bring on the next decade!
Back to Blog